eternally optimistic
law school bound
dreamer by day
lover of heels, books, coffee, & cardigans

11 July 2011

Revamping My Water Safety Course

About a month ago, I taught the entire Frances Willard Elementary School the American Red Cross water safety course, WHALE Tales.  Last week, a boy from one of my sessions drowned in the Mississippi in an area near his home.  I'm sick about it.

He didn't tell his mother that we would be going to the river, but went with friends.  The other 12 year olds didn't realize he was getting in the water.  

He was an African immigrant who probably knew English very well by the time he was in my class, so I don't think any language barrier would be the cause of not understanding the class.  I think there are two things I could have done better.  First, I should have explained better what being supervised means.  I used to explain supervision as someone watching out for you.  Since I learned of this accident, I have started explaining a supervisor at the pool is someone who is at least 16 years old and also KNOWS HOW TO SWIM.  Between the two explanations, I have seen a big difference in the way that kids understand my point.  They realize that they, as 10 year olds, should not be swimming with only other 10 year olds AND that the adults they are swimming with should also know how to swim.

The other thing I should have done was explain that the current in the Mississippi river is much, much different than other rivers.  As a non-native to the Mississippi Valley area, he probably didn't realize that swimming in that river is so dangerous--more so than even other rivers within this same area.  Last week I started emphasizing what a current is and how it affects the water and things in the water.

I've learned a lot from this guilt.  I only wish I would have thought of these things sooner; however, I know that what happened wasn't my sole responsibility, so I have also been encouraging my students with talk to their parents about water safety.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a lighter but still related note,  as I was explaining how currents don't just move things on top of the water, they can also pull you under the water, I saw one boy's face grow nervous.  His hand shot up in the air and he questioned, "You mean, it's alive?  There's something alive in the water?!"

It was cute and a really good learning moment for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment